BREATHING EXERCISE TO STRENGTHEN THE LUNGS
1. Sit comfortably on the edge of a chair with your back straight. Place feet flat on the floor and keep legs hip-width apart. Rest hands on top of thighs.
2. Quiet your mind and become aware of your breath.
3. Bring hands palms up and fingertips pointing toward each other with elbows rounded.
4. Keep hands palms up and slowly raise arms in front of body. Breathe in deeply through your nose and imagine a bright white light bathing your lungs.
5. Continue to raise arms with palms up until you reach level of throat. Then turn hands, thumbs toward you and continue to rotate wrists until palms again face up toward the sky and push hands up toward the sky. Press arms up over the head, keeping elbows slightly bent. As you press your arms upward, exhale through your mouth while making the sound “sssssssss” (like a leaking tire) with the breath. Exhale until you can no longer breathe out. While exhaling, imagine the colour grey leaving your lungs and breathe out sadness and grief.
6. Slowly return to original posture and refocus mind back to lungs. Repeat 6, 9, or 18 times.
Taken from “Taoist Ways to Transform Stress into Vitality” by Mantak Chiaby